Look, I made my stupid game a bit less stupid!
I wanted to learn how to have two separate sections that behaved differently, so I added a little area to display the score. And a second character, so there’d be some purpose to having a score. It’s still not the world’s most exciting game, but there’s at least some element of competition now. And now I know how to have multiple surfaces in pygame.
Adding a second character turned out to be trivial, which made me feel pretty good about my previous over-engineered object oriented life choices.
(Yeah, I’m procrastinating on something actually important I should be doing. But this is way more fun.)